What Men Expect of Christians
December 14, 2014 PM
Text: Acts 3:1-11
A. Acts 3:5 "… expecting to receive something from them."
B. Unreasonable Expectations:
I. Unlimited Benevolence
A. Acts 3:1-11 - “silver and gold have I none”
B. Resources are limited.
II. Sinless Perfection
A. The Cry of Hypocrite
1. Rom 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
2. 1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin,…
3. 1 John 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned,
4. 1 John 2:1-2 …And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate…
B. Imperfection: the reason for restoration - Gal 6:1
III. To Please Everybody
A. Gospel preachers do not preach to please men.
B. Gal 1:10 Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please
men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ.
IV. Adjust To the World
A. 1 Peter 4:4 And in all this, they are surprised that you do not run with
them into the same excess of dissipation, and they malign you;
B. 1 Peter 4:3 For the time already past…
C. Rom 6:4 … might walk in newness of life.
1. Rom 6:6 that we should no longer be slaves to sin;
2. Rom 6:12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body that
you should obey its lusts,
3. Rom 6:13 and do not go on presenting the members of your body
to sin as instruments of unrighteousness…
D. Rom 12:1 … present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice
E. Rom 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world,
F. Matt 5:13 "You are the salt of the earth;
G. Matt 5:14 "You are the light of the world.
H. Do not become again entangled in the defilements of the world - 2 Peter 2:20-22
V. Be Quiet About Faith
A. “We never discuss religion…”
B. Be ready to make a defense - 1 Peter 3:15
C. Faithful men will be able to teach others also. - 2 Tim 2:2
D. 2 Tim 4:2 preach the word; be ready in season and out of season;
E. Rom 10:9-11 … Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
- Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ:
F. Will you confess Him or deny Him? - Matt 10:32-33
G. Acts 4:18 -20 for we cannot stop speaking what we have seen and heard.